While solid-state disk (SSD) devices offer faster speeds and consume less power than hard disks, the high price of solid-state memory has kept the devices confined to limited use in the data center. Storage professionals are now seeing more situations where the advantages of SSDs outweigh their cost. But how much do you really know about these high-speed storage devices?
1. What is one of the most widely used forms of solid-state technology, usually found in
consumer devices like iPods and smartphones?
2. Typically, how much faster are SSDs than hard disks?
3. SSD technology is now being used to improve the performance of this type of storage
4. In what tier of storage are companies now starting to use SSD technology?
5. Who was the first major vendor to include flash drvies in its arrays?
6. What are the two types of memory used by SSDs?
7. An SSD can serve as a large cache to boost performance by pulling data from memory, rather
than from what?
Storage quiz library
Our storage library has more than a dozen quizzes to test your storage smarts. Test your storage technology savvy on SANs, RAID, NAS, IP storage, switches and more.
This was first published in June 2008